Sewer water contain microbes such as bacteria and viruses! Sewage water can cause serious illnesses and should be cleaned up immediately. If sewage starts leaking inside your home or business you need to know techniques that can restore them to a safe condition. We do not recommend you do this yourself. Leave it to a professional!
Steps To Cleaning Up a Sewage Backup
- Protective Clothing Needed – Wear waterproof gloves and rubber boots you need to wear protective clothing before entering the areas of the home or business where the sewage has spread you do not want to come in contact with the sewage .
- Find the Contamination – Check the interiors and the exterior of the building for sewage contamination of the property. This will ensure that you plan the cleanup process properly.
- Bag Everything – Start with carpet and padding they should be removes and disposed of properly. Any pillows stuffed toys and stuffed furniture need to bagged and removed properly. Use your plastic bags to pack up all porous materials such as cardboard, clothes, mattresses, books, etc. Standing sewage water and solid waste should be removed and properly discarded. Then you can start the cleaning and dying out process
- Salvage Certain Items – Salvageable items such as plastic items, dishes and some furniture pieces should be removed and taken to a safe place for cleaning.
- Avoid Cross Contamination – Close doors that link contaminate room to non-contaminated room. Prevent the spread of sewage to places that have not been affected by sewage.
- Start the Cleanup – After removing all the items as well as the sewage water start the cleanup. Use household detergent to clean the area. Sewage dirt and contamination should be removed in all areas.
- Dry The Damaged Area – Dehumidifiers and portable fans should be used to start the drying process as soon as possible. Open all the windows Fresh air will help with the smell, all of this should be done as fast as possible.
- See What Can Be Kept or Cleaned – Check appliances, fixtures and water supply to ensure they are not contaminated. Inspect all areas to ensure no equipment or parts are left with sewage water or dirt. Everything contaminated must be cleaned and disinfected .
- Clean the Items You Can Keep – Once you have cleaned the sewage from your home or business you need to start cleaning the items that may have come into contact with the sewage. Wash all clothing and linens using hot water or dry clean them professionally. You probably will need to discard mattresses, wall coverings, carpeting and upholstered furniture if any of those thing have come in contact with sewage water. Scrub all the floors and walls. Children should be kept away from the contaminated home or business until after the complete cleanup.
Don’t Get Sick… Get a Professional
All of this seems pretty overwhelming and since it involves a significant health risk for you and your family, we recommend calling in a professional sewage cleanup company to handle the cleanup. Here are just a few reasons WHY…
- Find the Cause – They will investigate the reason for the sewage water being in your home or business. It could be that your pipes are clean and in good working order and fault could lie with the municipality and their connection to your home. It will be helpful to have their guidance to engage your municipality to resolve the issue.
- Disinfect the Right Way – Waste water contains urine and feces which are toxic and can cause illnesses like Hepatitis A, Legionnaires disease and Typhoid Fever to name a few. Professionals know how and have the correct equipment to remove appropriately so that cross contamination does not occurs
- Prevent Mold – Wherever there is moisture in an area there is the possibility of mold growth. The only thing worse than sewage backup is to also have mold issues. A professional sewage cleanup company will make sure that the area is appropriately dried and ventilated to prevent future mold growth.
If you hire a professional to do the cleanup you can be sure the water cleanup process will be quick and all sewage dirt will be removed from your home or business. They have the right equipment to dry and prevent mold growth and they will use the right products to keep your home safe from fungi, parasites, viruses and bacteria that can be caused by the sewage water.
Contact us (859-525-2379) for more information or to schedule an appointment
We’re available 24/7 for questions, estimates, and emergency services. Call us day or night to speak to a technician.
Paramount Restoration performs emergency remediation throughout Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky for water, storm, fire, mold sewage damage and more seven days a week, 365 days a year. Call us day or night for an estimate – we waive 100% of the estimate fees for all calls between 8 am and 5 pm!